Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Port install and first day of chemo

Cancer Treatment Center of America

We arrived Sunday Evening 3/12/17, which was also the first day of Daylight Savings Time.  It was a little hard to get up in the morning!   Here's the outside of the Hospital, it's very nice, everything under one roof.  Hotel, surgery, clinic, pharmacy, cafeteria, fitness center, sewing room, kids room, pool table, library.  
Cancer Treatment Centers of America Tulsa, OK

On the day of my port surgery, I wasn't supposed to eat or drink anything.  Poor Mark has shingles and he doesn't feel very well and hasn't for the past month.  He asked me if I wanted a cupcake that they had at the front desk and if I wanted coffee. I looked at him like he was crazy and said well, sure.  When he brought it to me, I said, you know I can't eat anything.  He was like You Tricked Me!  
He had to eat it anyway.


Port Surgery

I'm getting ready for surgery here.


This was the acting silly picture.  
Here's Mark again, feeling sad and worried.


Chemo

They put the port in, I was out the whole time.  When I woke up, I was sick to my stomach.  I threw up a couple of times, they quickly gave me some medicine and it went away.  This is in the Chemo room.  I have 3 different chemo medicines to take.  But first they gave me some anti-upset stomach medicine and some benadryl to help me sleep.  I took a nap through most of the chemo.  All of this took 6 1/2 hours.  I was done at 10:15 and went right to bed.  


This is where they put the port in, this picture shows the port.


This is the cut in my chest after they removed the cable and needle from the port.  It looks pretty good.  I think the Doctor did a good job.  
This is what the needle that they put in to administer the chemo looks like.  They can give me any medicine I need through this.  


That's the end of my first day of installing the port and getting Chemo.  Installing the port sounds like computer jargon, like installing the software.  :) 

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you Kelly. You have a wonderful support system and lotta prayers behind you. Keep up the fight and the positive attitude!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things have moved fast since we last talked! So they opted to do chemo before surgery? I'm really happy you have a place where all treatment is under one roof. Maybe it will make it just a slight bit easier.
    Bravo for getting through your first day of chemo. A few weeks ago you never imagined something like this and yet, here you are on the other side of it posting blogs and making jokes. Bless those meds for making sure you don't puke! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, thank you for the post, it reminded me that I hadn't posted my treatment plan, so I added a new post for that. Our phone call really helped me a lot! Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble posting, change the drop down next to Comment As: to Anonymous.