Monday, September 11, 2017

Radiation Treatments

I can't believe it's been so long since I have written in my blog!  I have been posting a few things on Facebook, but I need to catch up.

Surgery
I had surgery the end of July and the doctor's removed 4 lymph nodes and the tissue around the cancer tumors (which had shrunk down to almost nothing).  All areas had no cancer!  I did pretty well after surgery, just had some soreness, swelling, etc.

Herceptin
I still am doing a drug called Herceptin in my port every 3 weeks.  I have to continue this for a total of 18 sessions, so I think I have 10 more to go.  It doesn't have the same side effects as my other chemo drugs, so my hair grows back and I'm feeling really good.

Radiation
Today was my first day of radiation.  I will be doing 25 sessions of radiation, for a total of 5 weeks. One each day Monday through Friday, then go home for the weekend and rest, then back on Monday again.  I've decided to just do this on my own as much as I can.  Mark can stay home with Kasey so he can continue to go to school and have most things normal for him.  My mom is going to come with me one week and I'm thinking that will be toward the end.  They say that I will be really tired and it will hit me later after a couple of weeks of radiation.

I had so much stuff I needed to take with me to spend the week in Tulsa.  I had a work laptop, large monitor, printer, lots of paperwork and about 4 pair of pants I need to hem for Kasey.  Mark did some work on my car the week before I left, oil changes, checking brakes (my brakes look perfect after 4 years, tell my dad, he'll be shocked!) rotating tires and getting recalls on my car.  Since he was doing all that, I took his car to work.  I loaded all my stuff in his car, but forgot to load my laptop from his car to mine.  I made it about 3 hours from home when I remembered!  Ughhh!  I called Mark and he brought the laptop to me, meeting me about half way.  I rescheduled my appointment in Tulsa for my first radiation from 1:30 to 3:00 and I made it to Tulsa around 2:00.  I was really disappointed with myself.

One of the things that I really like about Tulsa is all the different activities that they have.  Tonight, they brought therapy dogs in.  This big St. Bernard was so sweet.


Did you know that dog cards are a thing?  When Kasey was down here with us, he got to check out the therapy dogs and the group then brought dog cards with them.  Most of the members of this group didn't have any cards, but one lady did have this card, isn't it just the cutest thing?



 This is the lunch menu at CTCA for this week.


This is the dinner menu.  I had Chicken Saltimbocca and it was $5.95.  It was chicken with cheese and some ham I think.  It was delish!

This was my chicken dish.  


This was my call from Kasey when he got home from school tonight!  He loves to Facetime, so he showed me all his homework papers.  He had a math test that he got 100% on and an English paper he got 100% on.  He was really proud!  And so was I.  It's so nice to be able to talk to him like this when I'm away.


Radiation is at 8:45 tomorrow morning and then I have an appointment with the Naturopathy Doctor.
Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have trouble posting, change the drop down next to Comment As: to Anonymous.